Vice President, Finance & Business Operations
The team at JPG is dynamic and mission-driven and is eager to onboard a candidate who will further our mission inspiring and equipping students through the Classical tradition of education that fosters faith, promotes academic and athletic achievement, and encourages civic responsibility while joyfully pursuing faith, wisdom, and virtue.
The Vice President of Finance and Business Operations will lead JPG in the areas of finance, accounting, human resources, insurance, real estate, facilities, and business operations. This position supports the President in creating and advancing a strategic vision for the school and maintaining sound fiscal management of all internal business operations. The role will have 2-3 direct reports at the director level.
Candidate Profile & Responsibilities
The Vice President of Finance and Business Operations must be a Catholic in good standing with the Catholic Church, who assents to the Church’s teachings on all matters, with particular care for those concerning the nature of the human person, sexual ethics and sexual identity. The candidate shall possess a zeal for the Lord, living the faith in all aspects of life, with an ability to speak comfortably and competently to the JPG team and stakeholders.
This position requires a minimum of 40 hours per week plus a willingness to devote additional time as needed for board meetings, community and donor engagement events and other meetings, which often occur in the evenings and weekends.
In terms of the performance and personal competencies expected for the position, we would highlight the following:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters’ or advanced degree preferred
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience, with demonstrated success in addressing immediate organizational needs while driving toward longer-term goals with buy-in from all stakeholders
- Strategic planning experience and execution capabilities with the ability to cultivate stakeholder relationships across various levels
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills, including evidence of enhancing an organization’s financial strength and sustainability
Business Operations Responsibilities
- Works closely with the President and Board of Trustees; communicates clearly and timely on matters impacting the school; is a member of governance and finance Board Subcommittees and participates in their meetings; and assists in setting various agendas
- Pursuant to the annual operating budget approved by the school’s Board of Trustees, carries out the school’s organizational structure and leads the Human Resources efforts of the school.
- Supports the President in overseeing the financial affairs of the school, including the creation and use of scholarship and endowment funds, tuition and fee schedules, debt service and bank negotiations.
- Insurance & Risk Management – Oversee the insurance and risk management of the school.
- Real Estate – Oversee the real estate development and ongoing facility maintenance and operations.
- Admissions – Support the admissions director of the school, particularly as it relates to financial aid.
- IT – Oversee the technology platforms of the school along with the acquisition of new technology.
- Fundraising & Investments – Track and manage the school’s capital campaign and associated investments. Work with President and Board of Trustees to establish an endowment for the school.
Accounting & Finance Responsibilities
- Ensures that appropriate accounting systems and internal controls are in place and maintained and provides regular financial reports to the President and the Board of Trustees of all funds and assets of the school and all income and expenditures pertaining to its operation.
- Provide timely and accurate budgets, financial reports, and trend analyses to assist the President, the Board and other senior leaders in planning and decision-making
- Oversee and lead the annual budgeting process; work with department heads to craft individual budgets; work with senior leadership to finalize a comprehensive plan that supports goals; coordinate the review and approval process with Finance and Executive Committees and Board of Trustees
- Develop a reliable cash flow projection process that addresses and reports operating cash needs
- Develop and oversee organizational dashboard and monitor trends
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process (if applicable), serve as liaison between auditors and the Audit Committee; facilitate completion and approval of audited statements and required annual filings
Who Should Apply?
The VP of Finance and Business Operations will embody the core values of St. John Paul the Great Catholic High School and will be join our team of missionary disciples. An undergraduate degree is required, an MBA, CPA or related degree is preferred. The successful candidate will have at least 5 years of overall professional experience with at least 3 years of broad financial and administrative management experience.
The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area. The ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with — colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds. Grant management experience and experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organizational and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making. Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders. A multi- tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
Salary range starts at $120,000 and may be increased commensurate with experience. St. John Paul the Great offers a competitive suite of medical, dental, vision, retirement, and life benefits.
For more information or to schedule an interview, please contact Jeremie Solak at [email protected]