Classroom Substitute Teacher
St. Joseph Catholic Academy is in search of a few dynamic substitute teachers with a committed focus on its Catholic identity and teaching students about truth, beauty and goodness by critically thinking about the world around them. St. Joseph Catholic Academy serves 243 students in PreK – 10th grade. The school is located in Killeen, Texas and is a growing community that provides a Classical education by utilizing time-tested methods from our Catholic Tradition and applying them to the contemporary world. St. Joseph’s stated mission is to provide academic and spiritual excellence in a Catholic environment.
Catholic schools in the Diocese of Austin are canonically obedient to the Bishop and assist him in fulfilling his ministry and canonical obligations. Pastors, presidents, and principals serve as leaders of the schools to make Christ’s mission present and enduring in the schools. In order to fulfill Christ’s mission, the school leaders employ suitable, chosen collaborators, sharing with them Christ’s mission and entrusting to them various responsibilities.
Positions employed in this School help extend the ministry of the School leaders in particular ways as outlined in the job description. The employee in this position is closely connected to and assists the School leaders in the performance of their ministry and, therefore, engages in ministry for the Church.
The substitute teacher meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated. Assumes the same responsibilities as a regular classroom teacher for students, equipment, materials, and facilities. Performs any special duties the classroom teacher may have. The position is hired and evaluated by the principal.
• Supports and upholds the philosophy of Catholic education and the mission of the school
• Acts as a witness to Gospel values by modeling the teachings of the Catholic Church
• Supports and adheres to the Code of Conduct and policies and procedures of the school and Diocese
• Communicates effectively with students, parents, and other professionals
• Demonstrates professionalism in conduct, demeanor, and work habits
• Ability to work well with students, parents, and colleagues in an instructional setting
• Possesses proficient technology skills
• Checks the class roll at the time and in the manner designated by the building principal. Records names, dates of absences, and tardiness as instructed.
• Maintains the regular routine of the class and follows as closely as practical the lesson plan of study. Works to meet the individual needs, interests, and abilities of the students.
• Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturing and
interest of the students.
• Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals
• Encourages students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior conducive to good learning.
* Maintains a level of discipline in the classroom. Prevents students from leaving the classroom unnecessarily.
• Notifies a neighboring teacher if assistance is needed from the principal’s office. o Notifies the
principal if a student needs medication (only authorized District employees may administer
• Notifies the school office, before leaving campus, of any serious problems experienced during the
• Leaves a summary of work covered in each class and other information pertinent to the teacher.
Provides documented information on any student(s) who failed to follow classroom rules of conduct and/or failed to complete work assigned. o Assists the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct.
• Reports on time for any assigned duty. Works through the end of stated sub hours. o Act as an interventionist or tutor if needed.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of the basic teachings of the Catholic Church
• Able to communicate effectively in both written and verbal form
• Able to work well with others in the school community
• Skill in handling multiple tasks simultaneously
• Skill in motivating and engaging students in the learning process
• Skill in organizing and relating information in an understandable format
• Classroom Assistant Job Description (Continued Page 2 of 2)
• Skill in job appropriate technology
• Skill in critical thinking and planning
• High school diploma or equivalent
• None required
Certifications and Training:
• Sufficient training to perform tasks assigned by the principal
• Must submit an Ethics and Integrity in Ministry (EIM) Application for Ministry within the first week of employment, participate in an EIM Basic abuse prevention training workshop within 60 days of submitting a complete Application for Ministry, and maintain EIM compliance during the entire term of employment.
• Must complete Religion Certification Part 1 within two years of the date of hire, completing a
minimum of 25 hours each year.
• Required to work some nights and weekends
• Ability to work at least a full school day
• Required to manage high to moderate levels of stress
• Required to work in standard classroom and school conditions
All employees must adhere to the Catholic Schools Standards of Conduct, the Diocese of Austin EIM policies, and the social, ethical, and moral teachings of the Roman Catholic Church as interpreted by the Bishop of Austin.
To apply for this job please visit austindioceseschools.isolvedhire.com.