The Director of Catechesis and Faith Formation is responsible for the management, supervision and administration of the Office of Religious Education/Catechesis to advance the mission of Catholic education in the diocese. The Diocesan Office of Catechesis and Faith Formation is the means by which the Bishop, as head of the diocese and teacher of doctrine, directs and moderates all the catechetical activities throughout the Diocese of Venice in Florida. The director provides leadership in religious education to all parish-based Directors/Coordinators of Religious Education.
• Participate in the hiring process for parish Directors/Coordinators of Religious Education.
• Manage a Diocesan Certified Catechist program. This program recruits, trains, and certifies individuals interested in catechesis and provides continuing educational opportunities after certification.
• Develop processes for the recruitment, approval, orientation, ongoing formation, certification and evaluation of catechists.
• Encourage the professional and spiritual growth of catechists by coordinating in-service and enrichment opportunities throughout the year.
• Provide access to catechetical resources including textbooks, instructional aids, digital resources, that are in conformity with the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
• Evaluate the religious programs in the schools by means of classroom observations, analysis of standardization test results and formal on-site visitations.
• Coordinate the Rite of Election with RCIA facilitators.
• Work with the Director of Catholic School Curriculum on religious/theology curriculum development, implementation of Catholic Curricular Standards and revision and adoption of textbooks.
• Work with parish Directors/Coordinators of Religious Education to set annual goals and objective and assess year end performance.
• Prepare the budget and engage in strategic planning for the office.
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned to meet the needs of the diocese.